Thank you for choosing Lumme in your journey to become an ex-smoker! In this guide, you will find the instructions on how to setup Lumme’s Quit Smoking mobile application on your phone and your smartwatch. Please follow these step-by-step instructions carefully.
To set-up Lumme mobile application correctly, you will be required to follow these three main steps:
Set-up your smartwatch
In order to use the Lumme’s Quit Smoking app, you will be required to wear a smartwatch regularly for the next 8 weeks. Since the app works by communicating with a smartwatch, it is important that you set-up and pair your watch with your phone. Please read and follow these instructions carefully.
Set-up time: 5 – 20 minutes.
Prerequisites: Please put your watch to charge for at least 15 minutes so that it has enough battery to complete the set-up process. It is recommended that you complete the set-up instructions in an environment where your phone is connected to a WiFi network.
Step 1: Install Wear OS app on your phone
The smartwatch that has been provided to you can be paired with your phone using an app called ‘WearOS’. You may install this app by opening the following link on your phone:
Alternatively, you may find this app by searching for ‘Wear OS by Google smartwatch’ in the Google Play Store on your phone.
Click ‘Install’ to complete the app installation.
Step 2: Pair your smartwatch using Wear OS app
- Launch ‘Wear OS by Google’ app on your phone. Please follow the on-screen instructions until you see a screen with ‘Start Setup’ button.
- Turn on your smartwatch. Click on the circle on the screen where it says ‘Tap to begin’.
- Select language ‘English (United States)’ from the options shown on the watch screen.
- Scroll down the watch screen by swiping up with a finger and click on I’ve read it button.
- Scroll down the watch screen where it would show the watch name.
- Click ‘Start Setup’ button on the Wear OS app on phone.
- Click Agree on the phone to continue. Click ‘No thanks’ in the next screen to continue. (Shown below)
- The phone will now look for a watch to pair. The screen should show the name of the watch you are trying to pair. Click on the name to continue.
- The phone will now show the Bluetooth pairing numeric code. Click pair to continue. The watch is now paired with the phone.
- On the phone, you will see an option to copy your google account. Copying this account will let the smartwatch to install the Lumme app later on your watch. Pick a user account and click next.
- At this point, the phone may ask you to provide the key to your screen lock. Unlock the screen to continue.
- The phone will now confirm copying google account to the watch. Click on ‘Copy’ button to continue. The phone may now ask you to put your password for the google account. Please provide the password and continue.
- Click Next when Location notice is shown on the phone. The wear os app will now start the synchronization process between the phone and the watch. This may take up to 5 minutes. (Note: While the watch synchronization process is going on, you may complete the Lumme mobile application setup, and come back here when the synchronization is over.)
- Click Done when ‘You are all set’ screen shows up on the phone. The watch is now ready to use.
- On the watch screen, click on ‘Learn more’ button and follow the onscreen instructions to learn how to use your smartwatch. If you did not see the ‘Learn more’ feature on the watch screen, please swipe on the watch screen in each direction to see how the watch functions. Also, press on the side button once to see the list of apps installed on your smartwatch.
Set-up Lumme mobile app on your phone
Once you have paired your smartwatch with your phone, the Lumme mobile app can now be set-up on your phone. The instructions provided in the Lumme mobile app should be self-explanatory for you to complete the set-up process. The following instructions will help you understand the process in a greater detail.
Set-up time: 5 – 10 minutes.
- Wear your watch : Wear your fully charged and configured smartwatch on your smoking hand, which is the hand that you usually use to smoke. For most people, this would be their dominant hand. If you usually smoke using your left hand, wear your watch on your left wrist. If you usually smoke using your right hand, wear your watch on your right wrist.
- Launch Lumme app on your phone: Open the Lumme app on your phone.
- Sign-in using Google : Click on the ‘Sign-in’ button and select your google account to sign-in into the app. Note: Lumme app does not share any of the data with google nor it accesses your google data. The sign-in is required to restrict the access to your data only to you.
- Grant Permissions : This mobile app relies on a few permissions needed for the app to function reliably. The failure to grant these permissions may cause the app to crash. Please click on ‘Grant’ button followed by the click on ‘Allow’ for the permissions asked.
- App Registration : The next screen may take up to two minutes to register the app and find the watch you paired with your phone. Click ‘Proceed’ when the app has detected your smartwatch.
- Enter your passcode : Please enter the passcode that has been provided to you in an email.
- Welcome Screen : The next screen shows you a welcome message. Please read this message carefully and click on ‘Start’ button to continue.
- Answer a few questions : In the next several screens, the app will prompt you to respond to a few questions in order to understand your smoking behavior. Please answer these questions carefully.
(Important: The first question will ask you to choose the hand that you use to smoke frequently. Please ensure that you provide the correct response. You must wear your smartwatch in the hand that you provided in the response.)
- Select a motivating picture : Towards the end of the set-up process, the app will prompt you to select a picture that motivates you to become an ex-smoker. This picture can be of your family member or anything that motivates you. You can select this picture from the available photos in your phone’s photo gallery.
- Your main reason to quit : Please write your main reason behind quitting cigarettes. Provide as much detail as possible. This message will be useful for you to reflect upon in the coming days. Click ‘Finish’ when done.
- Install the app on your watch : You are now all set to use the app on your phone. Please move on the next step of installing this app on your smartwatch.
Set-up Lumme mobile app on your smartwatch
The final step involves configuring your smartwatch to use the Lumme app for detecting your smoking episodes. This step should take less than 5 minutes to complete.
- Launch Play Store on your watch : Tap once on the side button on your watch to show the list of apps installed on it. Scroll down the list by swiping up on the screen to find ‘Play Store’. Click to launch the ‘Play Store’ app.
- Install Lumme : In the Play Store app, scroll down to find the list of apps available on your phone to install. You should see Lumme in this list. Click on the icon next to Lumme to begin installation.
- Back to Main Screen : After the installation is complete, swipe right on the watch screen a few times to come back to the watch’s main face.
- Access Settings : From the main watch face, swipe down to access Settings app. Click on the gear icon to open settings.
- Update Settings :
- All Set! You are now all set to use the Lumme app!
Look for the Display setting. Open Display and scroll down to disable ‘Always on screen’ option. Next, swipe right and access ‘Gestures’ setting. Enable the ‘Wrist gestures’ option from the menu.